Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Hello All!

I know I have been conspicuously absent for some time now, and I apologize for not speaking up sooner. 

Most of my friends and family know but few outside that circle are aware of, I had a pretty bad car accident last spring that resulted in two broken hips, several broken ribs and various other internal injuries. As a result, I have been fairly incapacitated and in a pretty high amount of pain most of the year, and it has only gotten worse since winter began; which has made sitting about for long periods of time pretty hard. 

Today I went to a follow up appointment with the orthopedic surgeon who fixed me up after the accident, and got some bad news. Apparently my right hip is not healing properly, which is the reason for my heightening pain.

Because of this, I have to go back into the hospital at the end of the month for another round of surgery. They have to remove the rod that they put in and replace it with another in a different spot because it is eating away at the bone around it and there is now a gap between the rod and the bone, which is causing the rod to sit crooked and work it's way toward the center of my pelvis. It is either this, or face a total hip replacement within the next few years. Frankly that is not a prospect that I am looking forward to just yet, though it may become necessary later on down the road.

Unfortunately what all this means, in the doctor's words, is we will be 'starting over' on that side, and I will be in the hospital for a couple of weeks, perhaps more. Followed by being bed ridden and probably more physical therapy. While I am not looking forward to this, if it means the chance for a bit less pain later on, then it will be worth it.

Anyway, that is why I have been out of the game for a few weeks, and will probably be out for a bit more. Don't give up on my just yet though, after my surgery I will be laid up for a bit, and should have plenty of time to putter so that means plenty of time for writing and hanging about in Photoshop.


No comments: